OSSINING, N.Y. – Sports fans in Ossining had plenty to celebrate in the past 12 months, from a sensational basketball star to amateur tennis players. Here are the top sports stories in Ossining from 2012:
Saniya Scores 2,000…
Ossining High School girls’ basketball sensation Saniya Chong scored her 2,000th career point during the Section 1 Class AA championship game at the Westchester County Center in March. She helped Ossining win the section title and reached the milestone in less than three seasons as a member of the Pride.
…And Takes The Next Step
Chong capped off a fantastic 2012 by officially signing her letter of intent to play college basketball at the University of Connecticut, one of the top women’s basketball programs in the country.
Pride Make It To States
Ossining continued its playoff run after the section title all the way to the state semifinals, but fell short to Cicero-North Syracuse.
A Local Tennis Sensation
Eighteen-year-old Ossining native Jamie Loeb reached the second round of the 2012 U.S. Open Tennis Juniors Championship to cap off an amazingly successful year. She won her first two professional tournaments in 2012.
- 1 Ossining Teacher Reassigned After Felony DWI Charge
- 2 Body Found In Hudson River Near West Point
- 3 Metro-North Trains Returns To Schedule As Grand Central Reopens
- 4 Dozens Sickened In Nine States After Salmonella Outbreak
- 5 Ossining Drama Program Seeks Help To Fund Trip To Scotland Theatre Festival