OSSINING, N.Y. - The Ossining Spartans Swim Team made its mark in the pool this week in the long distance challenge in the first of several winter meets in the Westchester-Fairfield Swim League.
Twenty-five Spartans competed against teams from Yonkers, Rye YMCA, and Harrison, placing fourth against teams with twice as many swimmers. Six Spartans won first-place gold in their individual events.
Nico San Martin took first in the boys’ 14-Under 500 freestyle and the boys’ 200 freestyle handily, while teammate Yousef Kamal, 8, seized gold in the boys’ 8-Under 50 free. Kamal also braved the long 500-yard race, the only 8-year-old to swim in a race with 12 to 15-year-olds.
Sarah Kamal won the girls’ 10-Under 200 Individual Medley and the Spartans girls’ 10-Under freestyle relay team of Stella Meyerhoeffer, Taiis Messado, Kamal and Jessica Garcia raced to victory.
Garcia took silver in the 10-Under girls’ 200 IM and Emma San Martin and James Cevasco took bronze in individual events.
Alex Carrazzone, San Martin, Thomas Overacker, and Cevasco took silver in the boys 11-Over 200 free relay and Meyerhoeffer and Nicole Calle had outstanding performances in several events.
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 Ossining Police Investigate Unusual Noise At School, Declaring Area Safe
- 3 New Ossining Police Officer Graduates From County Academy
- 4 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Ossining
- 5 NYPD Officers' Ambush-Style Killings Spark Outrage In Westchester