OSSINING, N.Y. – The Ossining High School varsity girls basketball team is taking its high-flying game west.
The Pride will play in the 2012 Nike Tournament of Champions Thursday through Saturday in Phoenix, Ariz.
Ossining is in an eight-team bracket that includes Bishop O’Dowd, Rock Bridge, Las Vegas Centennial, Riverdale Baptist, Dr. Phillip’s, Phoenix-St. Mary’s and Mater Dei. Ossining opens against Mater Dei (Calif.) at 3 p.m. Thursday.
“Coach [Dan] Ricci told us this is the first time any girls team from Section 1 will be playing in this tournament,” senior Danielle Gervacio said. “Coach also told us that this tournament is mostly for catholic and private schools.
“It’s a great opportunity, and the competition is what we are psyched about,” she said.
Ossining enters the tournament with a 4-0 record and averaging 94 points per game. Last year, Gervacio said, Ricci took the team to a pre-Christmas tournament in Florida.
Gervacio said her team mates are excited about the tournament and looking forward to representing their school, community and the state of New York.
“We’ve gotten off to a really great start, and now we are going to Arizona, ready to compete,” Gervacio said.
- 1 State Police Warn Ossining Residents Of Phone Scam
- 2 Valhalla Man Recovers After 18-Wheeler's 'Ice Missile' Breaks Windshield
- 3 ESPN Writer's Son, 21, Missing At College In Upstate New York
- 4 Chance Of Snow Returns To Ossining Overnight
- 5 Funeral Arrangements Announced For Teenage Sisters Murdered In Harrison