OSSINING, N.Y. – Ossining High School girls’ basketball star Saniya Chong is The Daily Voice Student-Athlete of the Month for December.
Chong put on two historic performances at the Slam Dunk Tournament at the Westchester County Center in December. She tied her own tournament scoring record with 46 points against St. Anthony’s on Friday, Dec. 28 and set a free throw record as she was 18-for-18 from the line.
If that were not enough, she outdid herself in the championship game against Irvington with a 51-point performance to set a new girls’ scoring record. She came up just three points short of the boys’ record of 54 points set by Stepinac’s Tony Taylor in 2007.
Chong led the Pride to a 90-84 win against Irvington in the title game to capture the Slam Dunk Tournament championship in her senior year.
The UConn-bound guard needs fewer than 300 points to set the Section 1 career scoring record held by Karen O’Connor of FDR.
- 1 Businesses Form Alliance To Draw Attention To Uptown Ossining
- 2 Ossining Teenager Arrested For Making Threats On Social Media
- 3 Tarrytown's Happy Rockefeller, Wife Of Late Nelson Rockefeller, Dies
- 4 Ossining High School Students Commit To Playing College Athletics
- 5 Ossining School District Budget Passes