OSSINING, N.Y. – Ossining High School girls’ basketball star Saniya Chong is The Daily Voice Student-Athlete of the Month for December.
Chong put on two historic performances at the Slam Dunk Tournament at the Westchester County Center in December. She tied her own tournament scoring record with 46 points against St. Anthony’s on Friday, Dec. 28 and set a free throw record as she was 18-for-18 from the line.
If that were not enough, she outdid herself in the championship game against Irvington with a 51-point performance to set a new girls’ scoring record. She came up just three points short of the boys’ record of 54 points set by Stepinac’s Tony Taylor in 2007.
Chong led the Pride to a 90-84 win against Irvington in the title game to capture the Slam Dunk Tournament championship in her senior year.
The UConn-bound guard needs fewer than 300 points to set the Section 1 career scoring record held by Karen O’Connor of FDR.
- 1 Ossining Man Indicted On Drug Trafficking Charges
- 2 Serious Multi-Vehicle Accident Closes Saw Mill River Parkway
- 3 NYPD Officer, Former Section 1 Basketball Star, Killed In Bronx Crash
- 4 Ossining School Nurses Warn Of Enterovirus Affecting Children
- 5 Westchester Attorney Charged With Stealing Over $1M From Escrow Accounts