OSSINING, N.Y. -- ESPNW recently profiled Ossining native and budding tennis star Jamie Loeb and her decision to attend the University of North Carolina instead of turning pro.
Loeb told ESPNW she was leaning toward going pro after winning singles and doubles 18-and-under titles at the 2012 USTA National Winter Championship but decided to take the advice of her parents and tennis legend John McEnroe to attend college for at least one year.
The path is a familiar one for McEnroe, who attended Stanford for a year before going on to win seven grand slam titles, ESPNW reported.
The decision appears to have paid off. Loeb became the first freshman in 30 years to win the Riviera/ITA Women's All-American Championship and the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship, ESPNW said.
- 1 Ossining Man Charged With DWI In Wrong-Way Crash
- 2 NYPD Detective Killed, Driver Injured In Wrong-Way Sprain Brook Crash
- 3 Ossining Girls Basketball Team Heads To Section 1 Class AA Final
- 4 Ossining Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 5 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Ossining