OSSINING, N.Y. -- ESPNW recently profiled Ossining native and budding tennis star Jamie Loeb and her decision to attend the University of North Carolina instead of turning pro.
Loeb told ESPNW she was leaning toward going pro after winning singles and doubles 18-and-under titles at the 2012 USTA National Winter Championship but decided to take the advice of her parents and tennis legend John McEnroe to attend college for at least one year.
The path is a familiar one for McEnroe, who attended Stanford for a year before going on to win seven grand slam titles, ESPNW reported.
The decision appears to have paid off. Loeb became the first freshman in 30 years to win the Riviera/ITA Women's All-American Championship and the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship, ESPNW said.
- 1 Ossining Public Library Names New Director
- 2 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust
- 3 Credit Card Skimmer Discovery At Area Bank Prompts Concern
- 4 Four From Westchester Indicted In Metro-North Cheating Ring
- 5 July 4 Terror Threat Is 'Nothing Routine,' Says Former CIA Deputy Director