OSSINING, N.Y. -- ESPNW recently profiled Ossining native and budding tennis star Jamie Loeb and her decision to attend the University of North Carolina instead of turning pro.
Loeb told ESPNW she was leaning toward going pro after winning singles and doubles 18-and-under titles at the 2012 USTA National Winter Championship but decided to take the advice of her parents and tennis legend John McEnroe to attend college for at least one year.
The path is a familiar one for McEnroe, who attended Stanford for a year before going on to win seven grand slam titles, ESPNW reported.
The decision appears to have paid off. Loeb became the first freshman in 30 years to win the Riviera/ITA Women's All-American Championship and the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship, ESPNW said.
- 1 Woman Spits At, Kicks Westchester Officers During DWI Arrest, Say Police
- 2 Pleasantville Teen Is Sentenced In Crash That Killed Three
- 3 Mother Of 6-Year-Old Lacey Carr Of Croton Is No Longer At Hospital
- 4 Thieves Stole Personal Data From 104,000 Taxpayers, IRS Says
- 5 Severe Thunderstorm Watch Is In Effect In Ossining