OSSINING, N.Y. -- Firefighters in Ossining successfully fought a fire in an apartment at 14 William St. on Monday morning.
Ossining firefighters were dispatched to the house at 11:02 a.m. and found smoke and fire trapped between the first and second floors, according to Angelo Manicchio, second assistant chief.
Manicchio said they were quickly able to knock down the fire, which did not appear to be suspicious. An investigation is ongoing, though Manicchio said it appeared to be an electrical fire.
Residents were evacuated and the building department is checking the building for stability. Mutual aid was provided by Croton-Harmon, Sleepy Hollow, Millwood and Yorktown Fire Departments.
"The firefighters did a beautiful job," Manicchio said.
Leonardo Castagna was in his apartment when he suddenly smelled smoke. He said he tried to find where the smoke was coming from before going and calling his neighbor when he realized it was between their floors.
"When I found the fire, I threw a glass of water at it," Castagna said.
Castagna said he then took his valuables and fled the scene.
Eddie Serrano had just come back from a haircut when Castagna told him about the fire.
"I smelled the smoke," Serrano said. "It wasn't scary."
- 1 Cousin Charged In Death Of 5-Year-Old Subject Of Amber Alert
- 2 New Ossining Police Officer Graduates From County Academy
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Ossining
- 4 NYPD Officers' Ambush-Style Killings Spark Outrage In Westchester
- 5 Ossining's Harbor Square Luxury Rentals Receives Support By LDC