OSSINING, N.Y. – Bernard R. Vernon of Ossining died Oct. 20. He was 76.
He was born Dec. 15, 1935, to Cassandra Rose Green and Thomas Vernon of Montego Bay, Jamaica. He attended Cornwall College High School in Montego Bay and received a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Howard University in Washington, D.C. While at Howard, he met and later married Francine Johnson in September of 1959.
Vernon is survived by his wife, Francine; a sister, Dorothy Morrish; a brother, Arnold Robin Vernon; three children, Richard Anthony, Carolyn-Michelle and Michael Bernarr; a daughter-in-law, Pamela; a son-in-law, Hossein Ali Kalantari; nine grandchildren; and many nieces, nephews and cousins. He was predeceased by five siblings, Gwendolyn, Evadne (Sister Bami), Hector, Ouida and Wilfred; and a grandson, Ricardo.
A celebration of life service will be held Friday at Mount Olivet Baptist Church in Peekskill. A wake will be held from 1 to 3 p.m., and the funeral will follow at 3:30 p.m.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Bernard R. Vernon Historically Black Colleges and Universities Scholarship Fund, 65 Cedar Lane, Ossining, NY 10562.
- 1 Ossining Girls Basketball Team Takes Fifth Straight Sectional Championship
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory For New Round Of Snow In Ossining
- 3 Ossining Could See Up To 4 Inches Of Snow In Latest Storm
- 4 Federal Agency Approves Controversial Algonquin Pipeline Expansion
- 5 Target, With Three Westchester Locations, Cutting Thousands Of Jobs