OSSINING, N.Y. – Bernard R. Vernon of Ossining died Oct. 20. He was 76.
He was born Dec. 15, 1935, to Cassandra Rose Green and Thomas Vernon of Montego Bay, Jamaica. He attended Cornwall College High School in Montego Bay and received a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from Howard University in Washington, D.C. While at Howard, he met and later married Francine Johnson in September of 1959.
Vernon is survived by his wife, Francine; a sister, Dorothy Morrish; a brother, Arnold Robin Vernon; three children, Richard Anthony, Carolyn-Michelle and Michael Bernarr; a daughter-in-law, Pamela; a son-in-law, Hossein Ali Kalantari; nine grandchildren; and many nieces, nephews and cousins. He was predeceased by five siblings, Gwendolyn, Evadne (Sister Bami), Hector, Ouida and Wilfred; and a grandson, Ricardo.
A celebration of life service will be held Friday at Mount Olivet Baptist Church in Peekskill. A wake will be held from 1 to 3 p.m., and the funeral will follow at 3:30 p.m.
In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to the Bernard R. Vernon Historically Black Colleges and Universities Scholarship Fund, 65 Cedar Lane, Ossining, NY 10562.
- 1 Susan Louise Bingell, 65, Longtime Ossining Resident
- 2 Police In Search Of Three Missing Teens Who May Be In Westchester
- 3 Suspect Charged In Ossining 'Bicycle Bandit' Robbery
- 4 Ossining Police Investigate Unusual Noise At School, Declaring Area Safe
- 5 New York Archdiocese Likely To Merge More Parishes