WESTCHESTER COUNTY, N.Y. -- News that Pope Francis might visit the United States is causing a stir in Ossining and Cortlandt.
The pope is expected to make his first visit to the United States in September 2015, visiting Philadelphia for the World Meeting of Families, according to Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput. New York leaders are trying to get the pope to visit the area.
The Vatican has yet to officially confirm the pope's visit.
"I am excited," County Legislator Catherine Borgia said. "This pope gives me hope."
Borgia said if the pope visits New York, she would try to get tickets.
Cortlandt Supervisor Linda Puglisi praised the work Pope Francis has done since he took over as pope last year.
"His humanitarian views are needed," Puglisi said.
Sue Palmer, communications manager for Maryknoll Sisters in Ossining, said Maryknoll is enthusiastic about Pope Francis possibly coming to the U.S.
“Maryknoll Sisters are, of course, thrilled that Pope Francis may visit the U.S. in 2015,” said Palmer. “If he does, we surely hope he will include the New York area in his itinerary.”
The last papal visit to New York was by Pope Benedict XVI in 2008.
- 1 Police Search For Suspect After Shooting In Ossining
- 2 Ossining Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 3 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Ossining, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Ossining
- 5 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow