OSSINING, N.Y. -- If there is one holiday the village of Ossining can get behind, it's National Hamburger Day.
Wednesday, May 28 is the day to honor the hamburger, which was said to have been first created in 1900 in New Haven by Louis Lassen, owner of Louis' Lunch. The burger became popular after the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis.
The hamburger, named for Hamburg, Germany, remains popular today, especially in Ossining.
Meaddows Ryan said she loves cheeseburgers with lots of American cheese.
"They are my favorite foods along with salmon and chocolate," Ryan said.
Ryan said the best hamburgers are cooked on the grill at the Ossining Boat & Canoe Club.
Alan Stahl likes his hamburgers high-end. Stahl recently had a hamburger with organic ground beef bought from a farmers market and Portuguese rolls purchased from a bakery.
"I like Filipino ketchup and French mustard," Stahl said.
Bob Daraio said he likes his burgers rare with cheddar cheese.
"If I could only eat one meal, it would be a hamburger," Daraio said.
Daraio said he likes his burgers with ketchup and relish. He said Squire's of Briarcliff and The Boathouse in Ossining have the best burgers.
- 1 Motorcyclist, 29, Killed In Taconic State Parkway Crash Is ID'd
- 2 Ossining's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 3 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Buy New Westchester Home
- 4 NASA Rocket Launch May Be Visible To Ossining Residents
- 5 Sunspot Solar Flares Could Disrupt Ossining's Communication Signals