OSSINING, N.Y. -- The third Ossining Sankofa Homecoming will be held Aug. 5-7 at various locations in the town.
The event recognizes the contributions of Ossining’s African-American community. More than 300 past and current Ossining residents attend to honor, reminisce, and celebrate their Ossining roots.
The Ossining Sankofa Homecoming 2016 welcomes all residents and families from Ossining and surrounding communities The homecoming is held only once every three years in August.
Tickets are $75, $50 for seniors and $37 for children 3-12. Children under 3 are free.
- Friday, Aug 5
- 6 p.m.-2 a.m.: Meet & Greet Friday Night Down Home FishFry at the QWL
- Saturday, Aug. 6
- 11 a.m.-3 p.m.: Sankofa Soul & Sunrise Brunch at the QWL
- 12:30-2 p.m.: Ossining Historical Presentation
- 4-8 p.m.: Entertainment & more, at Market Square, Main & Spring Streets
- 9 p.m.-2 a.m.: Function at the Junction, an Evening of Dinner, Dancing, and Entertainment at the QWL
- Sunday, Aug. 7
- 11 a.m.: Worship at Star of Bethlehem Baptist Church
- 2 p.m.-sunset: Sankofa Sunset Finale, Ossining Waterfront
The organization’s name, “Sankofa," originates from the African word directly related to the organization's mission: Reclaiming our Past, Building Our Future. The organization utilizes the values of its positive past to support positive and progressive social change in the community, and to commemorate the African American contributions to the history of Ossining.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.